How would like to create a classic french dessert at home with everyday ingredients. I used to see this dessert re-created in almost all of the television cooking shows and wondered how I could make this at home. Creamy vanilla custard with a burnt sugar top – sounds heavenly to me! And it turned out to be so easy to make – just four ingredients! Read on for the recipe. You will need four to six small ceramic ramekins for this recipe.
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 egg yolks
- a pinch of salt.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- separate 4 egg yolks from the egg whites. You will need only the egg yolks for this recipe. Beat the egg yolks till they are mixed.
- Mix together 1 pint heavy cream and one cup sugar in a microwave safe bowl. Heat this mixture in the microwave for about a minute and mix well.
- Beat in eggs into the cream and sugar mixture. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and a pinch of salt. Mix this well.
- Pour into 6 small ramekins. If your ramekins are bigger this recipe might make only 4. Mine are a little smaller, so I can make 6 individual dessert cups with this.
- Place the 6 cups into a large baking pan.
- Fill the baking pan with boiling water only half way. The ramekins should only be about half submerged in the boiling water.
- Bake at 350 F for 25 – 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool and chill for 2 – 3 hours. You can either store the cooled ramekins in the fridge to use the next day or serve the same day once they are chilled.
- For the burnt sugar topping: spread about 1 – 2 teaspoons of sugar over the custard. heat with a propane torch. Alternatively, you can heat the top of a spoon over a stove and lightly pass the spoon over the sugar. Do this several times till the sugar is burnt to your liking.
Voila! Can you believe it was this easy! And the custard is truly so creamy and just rightly sweet!!
Hope you enjoy this recipe. 🙂